Bills are always not pleasing. This is regardless of the bill that you get in your house. Most of the average households live in 1 bedroom apartments. There are a lot of bills that you must pay when you live in such a house. These include water, internet, and electricity bills.
In this article, we look into the average electric bill for a 1 bedroom apartment. For the majority of us, it is the most expensive utility we must pay. There are several scenarios that you may need to have knowledge of. For example, when you are having an electric bill that is abnormally, too high, or low. Another is if you are about to move and want to know what to expect in the new place.
We will highlight all you need to know about your small apartment’s electricity bill below. This can help in reducing your consumption for the sake of your wallet. We hope the information will help you to have an overview of what you expect in a house.
What Is The Average Electric Bill For 1 Bedroom Apartment?
The monthly average electric bill for a 1 bedroom apartment range between $50 and $100.This depends on where you live. There are several other factors that may cause the bill to increase. One, the size of the apartment or household may affect the monthly electric bill. Also, the lifestyle of an individual may lead to increased bills. The people who do not have fancy life so their monthly consumption is definitely minimal.
Electricity is likely to be the most expensive utility on your monthly bill. The average American’s electricity consumption is 41% heating and cooling. This is frequently the highest expense among all expenses that you can have. Later in this article, we will break down the average electricity consumption.
The apartment’s electric bill will also vary depending on the appliances that you own. The same applies to electronics. Besides, the state in which you live may influence bills that you will get. Other factors include the climate and the number of people in your household. Finally, the size of your apartment will also affect the average bill that you can have.
What Is The Most Energy-Intensive Appliance In An Apartment?
The appliance that you have in the apartment does not have a uniform consumption. Air conditioning systems do have a lot of consumption in terms of electricity. The amount of time your air conditioning system uses varies according to the season. Other factors include the location of your home, and how cool you prefer your home to be. If you live in a cooler state, you are likely to use air conditioning only during the summer. This is the only season when opening the windows is insufficient to keep you cool.
If you live in a state that is typically warm all year, such as Arizona, Nevada, or Florida, the case is different. Your air conditioning usage will be much more frequent and for a longer period of time. This definitely will result in a higher electric bill. Naturally, if you must heat your home, you may find that the cost offsets the expense in hotter states.
- The 10 Best Cheap Apartments for Rent With Utilities Included Near Me
- Cheap Studio Apartments For Rent Near Me
Typical Apartment Utilities
Numerous apartment utilities are electrically powered. This will definitely contribute to your electricity bill rise. Some of them are;
- Heating – Electricity powers 46% of apartment heating systems in the United States.
- Water heating In the United States, 49% of apartments heat their water using electricity.
- Air conditioning.
- Cooking – In the United States, 64% of apartments include an electric oven or stove.
- Cable and internet
If your electric expenses are excessive, explore alternative methods of powering these facilities. Alternatively, you may work to improve their efficiency wherever possible.
The Average Electric Bill For 1 Bedroom Apartment On A Basis By State
Below is the list of average electricity bill state by state:
- The typical Florida electric bill $131 for a one-bedroom condo.
- Electricity costs on average for a one-bedroom apartment in Texas are $132.
- Maryland, the average monthly power expense for a one-bedroom apartment is $125.
- In Pennsylvania, the average utility bill for a two-bedroom apartment is $113.
- In a Georgia apartment, the average power bill is $132.
Methods For Reducing Your Apartment’s Electric Bill
You may discover that your electric bills are higher than they should be for an apartment of this size. This is when you compare with other apartments in your state. There are several ways to save money and benefit the environment. This is by conserving energy in your apartment.
- A simple way to save electricity is to develop the habit of turning off lights when leaving a room. Powering down or unplugging appliances when not in use helps in saving power. The same is with electronics. You will likely discover that it can actually save you money on electricity in the long run. If you have energy-saving bulbs, you should turn them off.
- Make an investment in energy-efficient products. This may include energy-saving light bulbs and Energy Star certified appliances. They may be more expensive to purchase than other options on the market. But they will save you money on your electricity bills in the long run. This is due to their significantly higher energy efficiency.
- If possible, use energy-intensive appliances early in the morning or late at night. Such appliances include dryers among others. This is only when energy costs are lower across the country.
- Keep your appliances in good condition. For example, clogged fans will have to work harder. This is likely going to cause high power consumption.
- Make an effort to keep your home’s cooling and heating costs to a minimum. This entails controlling the temperatures of only the rooms that are in use. You need to focus all energy on these areas rather than heating or cooling every room in your home. You may require less energy to keep one or two rooms in your apartment warm or cool.
- If you own your flat and are able to replace the windows, this may help. As a good starting point, learn how to make more energy-efficient windows.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Where are uses the most electricity in a 1-bedroom apartment?
There are many areas in an apartment that you are likely to have electricity consumption. This will definitely up the bills of the electricity. One of the ways which actually has high electricity consumption is air Conditioning. Also, you are likely to use electricity in heating, water heater, and clothes dryer. Those are some of the areas that you are likely to use electricity when in a 1-bedroom apartment.
Why is my electric bill so high?
There is a myriad of reasons why your electric bill may be high in comparison to previous months’ bills. This may also differ from the national average. If your monthly bill appears to be unusually high, it could be due to one of the following:
- If you add a new member to your household, you can expect a significant increase in your electric bill.
- Maybe you acquired a new energy-consuming appliance like a dryer. This is likely to increase the bill than you had previously.
- The weather might have definitely changed, too hot or cold. This will force your heating and cooling systems to work overtime. This for you to keep your home comfortable.
How can I lower my apartment electric bill?
If your electricity bill exceeds the aforementioned averages, consider the following:
- Is your tariff competitive? If you are on the default tariff, you are probably paying more than necessary. So, you need to check the alternative tariffs. This will help you greatly in reducing the costs.
- Your household appliances and electronics are obsolete. Electronics, like many other things, age over time hence losing efficiency. This will make them need more energy for them to operate properly. Often, outdated appliances were not built to the same efficiency as modern appliances. The same applies to energy-saving standards. This means they need more energy to perform the same function as a new appliance. This will definitely take significantly longer to do so.
- You live in an affluent neighborhood or state.
- You live in a climate that necessitates continuous heating/cooling. This will need to have high electric consumption. This is because you want to maintain the standard of your room.
Bills give people headaches. So, you need to make sure that you are getting minimal expenses every month. The above information gives a broad highlight on what you need to do in case you have abnormal bills. Additionally, there are several ways that can help you to minimize the electric bills. So, you can use the information given above to know the average electric bills that you need to have. We hope that the information you read has highly helped you in making your choice.