We are in a time when technology-based services and their options are more open than ever. People are enjoying financial inclusion and most of the basic banking services are now in their hands. It’s because we have smartphones in our hands. With revolutionary smartphone applications, we can now perform any service we used to perform physically on the spot.
Afterpay is such a kind of fintech service that helps us to buy anything and pay later in installments. And we can do the whole process online. However, people always choose reliable services, and they have a lot of options to choose from. This is why it’s not unusual to delete an Afterpay account and switch to a new one. Others might want to switch to other BNPL platforms, whereas some might want to get rid of BNPL. But people want to know about the afterpay account deleting process to avoid any hassles and to keep their history safe. That’s why I’m answering it here.
Why Do People Delete Afterpay Account?
Below are some reasons why people are looking for how to delete Afterpay account;
- There are only four installments for payment financing. Some people might want more time to pay off the purchase. In that case, you’ll want to consider other BNPL services.
- If you don’t make your payment on time, you’ll be charged a $10 late fee. Afterpay charges $7 if you don’t make your payment within seven days of the due date. Even so, this fee can’t go above 25% of the original purchase price.
- It might decline your purchase or freeze your account sometimes.
How You Can Delete Your Afterpay Account?
You can close your Afterpay account at any time by using the app or logging in on the Afterpay website. The following is a step-by-step guide on how to delete your Afterpay account.
- Open the Afterpay App on your phone or tablet. It doesn’t matter if you’re using an Android or an iOS device, you can work on either. To keep your app free from bugs and glitches, I recommend updating it before moving on. Afterpay is even available on your PC. Just type Afterpay.com in the search bar.
- You’ll get redirected to the Afterpay app’s home page if you’ve already logged in. In the bottom right corner, you’ll see a ‘My Profile’ icon (human avatar). Just tap it to continue.
- Under the same ‘My Profile’ tab, you’ll find lots of options for managing your account. When you scroll down you’ll see ‘Deactivate Account’, select that to continue.
- As soon as you select deactivate, you’ll be asked to tell the reason why you want to deactivate the account. This is where you can confirm the reason.
- Afterpay will ask you to confirm your password after the system confirms the reason for deactivation. Here’s where you input your Afterpay password. You’ll get an email from Afterpay to confirm your password. And there’s nothing more to do.
Once your Afterpay Account has been deactivated completely, the Afterpay team will send you a confirmation email.
Things To Consider Before Deleting An Afterpay Account?
If you don’t want Afterpay account, you can delete it. Before you get rid of it, you should think about a few things.
Everything you need to know before deactivating an account is right here. You’ll want to make sure your account can be closed securely.
- When your Afterpay account has a balance, you can’t delete it. To deactivate your Afterpay account, you need to make sure your account balance is $0 before you do so.
- Before you can delete your Afterpay account, you’ll have to clear any pending installments, whether they’re due next month or not. Otherwise, you won’t be able to deactivate your account. So, make sure you don’t have any pending due before you delete your Afterpay account.
- if you want to delete your Afterpay account, make sure there aren’t any active orders on your account. When your account has an active purchase order, you can’t delete it. In the payments section of the Afterpay app, you can see the status.
It is only possible to get out of this situation by paying Afterpay the amount back. Users can pay before the installment is due with Afterpay.
- You must unlink your credit/debit card if you wish to deactivate Afterpay. Well, when you delete an account, you’ll lose all your saved details like card numbers and other stuff. The best way to keep your data safe is to unlink your registered card yourself.
- Afterpay charges a late fee if a user doesn’t pay on time. You’ll have to make sure that you don’t have any late fees on your account before you delete it.
There’s nothing else you need to know before you delete your Afterpay account. It’s now time to make it happen if you are free from those restrictions.
Alternatively, you can close your Afterpay Account by emailing Afterpay customer service. You’ll find the steps below.
- Use the Zip website or Zip app to open your email account.
- In the ‘To’ field, put email@example.com .
- In the subject line, type ‘Request to Delete My Afterpay Account.
- Start writing them an email asking them to cancel your Zip account.